10 Great Reasons to build a Mobile App
Consider this statistic: there are 15 billion mobile devices worldwide in 2021. There are millions of apps on the Apple store and Google Play. If one of these is not yours, then maybe it’s time to consider getting some “App Appeal”! Here are our top 10 reasons to build a mobile app for your business.
- Generate additional sales. Mobile apps generate additional revenues for a company in three key ways: firstly, because most people carry a mobile device, apps encourage repeat orders from customers on the go. The sheer simplicity and convenience of apps versus going to a website makes it easier for consumers to buy. Secondly a company can benefit from a new advertising revenue stream through apps. And thirdly, the app itself may be so compelling that you can charge for it!
- Reduce cost to serve. Mobile apps allow customers to access basic information and purchase without needing to call a call centre. On some apps, you can even click through a “visual IVR” menu rather than waste time and money listening to prompts in a call queue. Automation obviously reduces servicing costs.
- Reduce marketing cost. A hidden benefit of apps is in the low cost of marketing – compared to traditional advertising and direct marketing, pushing notifications to customers who have downloaded your app is cheap. For example, you may want to announce an event or new product offer.
- Enhance the customer experience. Many websites just don’t look great on tiny phone screens, but mobile apps are purpose-designed for small screen sizes so are easier on the eye and simpler to use for the customer. Apps also offer instant access to your contact channels – with one touch, a customer can click to call or initiate a web chat. For users who have their location turned on, the app can also recognise where you are in real time and provide location specific information and directions. The Uber app, which is disrupting the taxi industry, even allows you to visualise your car approaching.
- Get the competitive edge. While most industries have cottoned on to apps, perhaps your business is in a niche where your competitors don’t offer an app yet, and if yes, this can be turned to your advantage as a differentiator. You can also custom-build unique features into your app that others don’t have – the possibilities are endless.
- Broaden your market coverage. Without an app, you may be missing out on a segment of the market that simply prefers to do business that way. A quick way to understand whether you have a mobile-addicted market is to look at the percentage of visitors who access your website through mobile devices. You can also use common sense, which suggests, for example, that young consumers are more likely to want to transact through an app than mature B2B buyers.
- Create stickiness. What better way to create stickiness with your customers than embedding your brand in your customer’s pocket! Unlike mobile websites, apps are always visible on the user’s phone home screen. Customers are more likely to repeatedly interact with businesses that are at their fingertips, so apps are a great customer loyalty tool.
- Deliver speed. Mobile apps open faster than a mobile website loads, in fact many aspects of apps are usable even without an Internet connection. In today’s digital world, it’s a race to deliver services and products to the customer faster, and the winner of the race will win more customers.
- Get feedback. You can easily get actionable insights from your customers, by conducting an “in-app” survey, or by analysing customer reviews in the App Store.
- Stay in control of the customer relationship. Apps are a platform which allow you to have a direct relationship with your customer, without any middleman. You are more likely to retain customers once you know who they are, where they are, and how to reach them.
Mobile apps may not be the right move for every business, but certainly for most, they offer huge appeal and an ROI which can be easily calculated.